Publications and Resources
- For policymakers to use as a tool in developing actual, enacted legislation
- To assess a given jurisdiction’s client protection regulatory regime
- To serve as a resource for the development of codes of conduct and guidelines, either for a single financial service provider or for any group or industry association
Special thanks to DLA Piper/New Perimeter for preparing the Model Law, to Accion for serving as Project Manager on behalf of the Council of Microfinance Counsels, and to the Smart Campaign for its contributions.
The Microfinance CEO Working Group is pleased to release two new publications. These companion publications present a critical analysis of some of the risks surrounding over-indebtedness in the microfinance industry.
- Over-Indebtedness: A Risk Management Approach PDF (El Sobreendeudamiento: Abordando la Gestion de Riesgos PDF ) looks at the leading indicators of the trend toward over-indebtedness and delineates steps that microfinance institutions can take to mitigate the risks should over-indebtedness hit the markets in which they operate.
- Over-Indebtedness in Mexico: Its Effect on Borrowers PDF (El Sobreendeudamiento en México: Sus Efectos en los Prestatarios PDF ) studies the specific threat of over-indebtedness in Mexico by analyzing credit data from a pool of loan applicants, a survey of branch managers, and qualitative interviews with borrowers themselves, many of whom were experiencing or had experienced debt problems.
The Microfinance CEO Working Group is pleased to share its strategic plan for 2014. At this moment, microfinance has an opportunity to build on past successes and learn from and respond to the challenges it faces in order to be a more responsive and responsible industry. By taking sincere and systematic action together, we believe we can build more successful financial institutions that help change the lives of the people we serve. We are committed to doing that within our own institutions, but also aspire to influencing the entire sector. We have and will continue to build strategic relationships with other stakeholders, including investors, donors, networks, standard setting initiatives, and providers. We will also continue to seek out exciting new advances in the industry and speak out against unfair microfinance practices or distortions. We hope we can count on your solidarity with us in these efforts.
Microfinance CEO Working Group and their social performance directors have released the results of a yearlong project to understand the state of social performance in 21 member MFIs. The resulting report is intended to provide feedback to the Social Performance Task Force on their Universal Standards for Social Performance Management, expand the industry’s understanding of the state of practice, and offer concrete guidance for MFIs and other institutions interested in beginning the process of applying the Universal Standards.
The Microfinance CEO Working Group released a joint statement in support of the new Smart Campaign Client Protection Certification program, which will enable MFIs to demonstrate to all stakeholders that they take client protection seriously. The CEOs state that the Certification program represents a “clear step toward a fully responsible microfinance sector.”
Global Appeal for Responsible Microfinance September 2012
In collaboration with Convergences 2015, a European microfinance and development organization, the Microfinance CEO Working Group launched the “Global Appeal for Responsible Microfinance,” a landmark document that urges all microfinance stakeholders – including practitioners, investors, and policymakers – to take concerted action to ensure a strong and principled microfinance industry. To date, the Global Appeal has been signed by more than 1,600 individuals and organizations – signifying the sector’s sincere commitment to responsible microfinance.
Road Map for the Microfinance Industry January 2012
In early 2012, the Working Group released a “Road Map for the Microfinance Industry,” which outlines the group’s vision for an industry rooted in client focus, high standards of performance, and a tireless search for improvement.